Monday 28 June 2010

CANI Clubfest 2010

This weekend saw the inaugural CANI Clubfest at the Share Centre in Enniskillen - with most clubs in NI meeting up for a weekend of paddling and fun.

We arrived on the Friday night, and after setting up camp and getting dinner myself and Niall headed to the water for a spot of late squirt boating.

The water was weirdly warm- although unfortunately it was about 5inches too shallow, and you hit the bottom just before getting vertical - but it was fun.

Saturday saw all 100+ paddlers make the 5mile paddle from Crom back to the Share Centre. This was done in a variety of boats, mostly sea kayaks and open boats, but a few river runners and even a playboat.



I paddled one of the CANI sea kayaks, and I'm not sure if it was due to lack of padding on the seat, or the alien sitting down position, but I soon suffered from cramp in my legs.
Not to be deterred - I got my hands on a canoe paddle, some knee pads, and I soon had a C1 sea kayak.

This proved to be a great idea, I was more comfortable, ans paddling as fast, if not faster than the same boat being paddled sitting down. Definitely something I need to do properly in the future.

We stopped for lunch just past the halfway point where the canoe paddled was liberated by its rightful owner, so i was back to sitting down.

On Sunday morning each club was to run a taster session of a certain discipline for other people to try. Myself and Niall helped Rodger Hamilton from CANI run a freestyle session. This was a bit tricky due to a shortage of suitable boats, I only had a C1 with me and Niall only had a squirt, but we managed to get suitable boats and fun was had.



It was after these sessions that things descended into chaos. I got my hands on a waveski - which after trying to tailsquirt a few times we tried to fit as many people on it at once as we could. After much trying we discovered 3 people could sit on it for a few seconds before falling in.



The weekend was a great success - roll on next year


Photos courtesy of Navarat Turner and Derek Stephenson

No comments:

Post a Comment