Monday 7 November 2011

Tyne Tour 2011

This year 16 fellow twits from LCP headed to Hexham for the Tyne Tour. This the largest recreation whitewater paddle in the UK.



Early on Thursday we met up for a breakfast fry in the Docks area before starting the long journey to Hexham via the ferry to Stranraer.

Thursday night - Blank


On Friday we met up with former LCP member, and Tyne area local Dave Draper who took us down the Lower Tees. This was a nice run, mostly grade2, with a bit of grade 3 with Abbey Rapids being the main feature on the run.


I paddled this in my C1 Cross, which handled everything nicely with no problems.

Friday Night - Blank

Saturday saw the actual Tyne Tour on the Tyne River as far as Hexham. In the morning before we went he annoyed the various vendors at the camp at Hexham Green. I accidentally bought a new c1 paddle, and temporarily stole a prototype Big Dog Force OC1.

The river itself was pretty flat and boring, but there were moments of interest where I got to test the Force OC1. The boat is so comfy, spins like a playboat, but boofs like a dream with the power to match - I instantly fell in love. There was even space for sandwiches.

The most fun part of the river was Warden Gorge, which on the Tour information was described as grade4, but I think that was just to scare the beginners away as I would have rated it as grade3. This was fun, if shortlived, but gave me plenty of chance to test the edges on the boat.

After a quick game of king-of-the-wave, we finished the float slog to the finish where I had to reluctantly give back the boat.

Saturday night - Blank

Up bright and early Sunday morning, we headed to the Upper Tees from High Force to Low Force.

This was more like it - solid continuous rapids, grade 4 sections, and a drop at the end - barely any flatwater in sight.

Somehow the group managed to make it to the last drop without any swims, although most people did portage the grade 4 section in the middle. Dave, and his paddling buddy Phil showed us the way down it, and Shug was up next with one of his first grade4 runs. He made one minor mistake, but recovered like a pro only to get beached on some rocks at the end - where he was unceremoniously dumped over by some locals - but rolled up with a smile.






I was the only remaining one in the group to run it - and I was back in the C1 creeker. I dropped into the section, and 4 strokes later was out the far end. I was extremely happy with my run down, especially as the last drop was a slot hard left - on my offside. I cant wait to see the video (coming soon) as I feel this is possible the best line I've take down a section like this.

At the end of the run is a nice 10foot drop, which most of the club ran - multiple times. I only managed 1 run, which resulted in a missed boof, a splat, and a roll resulting in a partially popped deck. Only realised about the deck when I found it difficult crossing the eddy line - must have been the extra water in the boat.


I did go off the falls one last time - but this was jumping in, with Sonya the only other from LCP to jump in.

Fun weekend, very tiring - now waiting for the video to appear

No comments:

Post a Comment