Monday 3 May 2010

Irish Nationals - Round 1 - Limerick

Saturday saw round 1 of the Irish Nationals at Curragower in Limerick.

This was to be my first time competing in the Spanish fly, and most of the people there had never seen a boat like it, never mind someone paddling it.

OC-1 was to be the first category to run on the feature, which provided great amusement to those watching. Unfortunately the feature was still forming when I had to go, so it was very green and difficult to catch. Having never paddled here before I struggled, but still managed to put up a score - which seemed to impress a lot of people who believe you need a spraydeck.



C1 was to be the last category to run, so I spent most of the rest of the competition in the Judges tent scribing. I got to see a number of fairly impressive runs from a few of the guys in the mens K1 - although the feature wasn't as good as it can be which stopped the biggest moves being thrown.


This gave me a chance to watch exactly how they were catching the wave, and using it, and i was really looking forward to the C1 competition where I would get to go back into the feature.


Just as the last few K1 runs were coming to an end the feature started to die. All the C1-ers ran to try and get at least 1 run in before the feature died completely, but by this stage even if you did catch the wave you flushed as soon as you started to initiate a move.



The following day I headed with Orky and Niall to a newly discovered squirt spot round the corner in Limerick. We only had 2 squirt boats with us, so I resorted to being camera man from the spanish fly. This actually worked out well as I could take good pictures, and still provide rescue when Orkys boat sprung a leak and he went down more than he anticipated.



Hopefully after some boat repairs I should get squirting myself next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment